Here are 10 things you may not know about me even if you’ve known me many years or been a longtime reader:
1. I stopped eating red meat about 11 years ago but last year started eating bacon and now, it’s like bacon and I are making up for lost time! I will wrap practically anything in bacon, am adding it into all kinds of recipes and eat it just by itself.
2. I have an untidy house (that part y’all knew) but I am a bit of a freak when it comes to dishes. I scrub them with a scrub brush for far longer than is necessary and then load them into the dishwasher when they are fully clean so that I can run the dishwasher in order to sterilize them. You are not likely to ever find yourself eating off a dirty dish in my house. (I also have a certain way in which I like to load them into the dishwasher so it’s actually hard for me to have the kids load it. I know they need to learn and that I need to delegate more, but it pains me to see it done the “wrong” way. I cringe but usually don’t say anything and let them do it their way.)
3. Back when a doctor told us to feed Miss Optimism as much Omega 3 as we could, I switched us to Omega 3 eggs and after years of eating only those, I discovered that I “can’t” eat regular eggs anymore. They taste to me like something is wrong with them which makes me feel a bit queasy. This makes my husband think I am certifiably crazy.
4. I am an introvert. This one is hard for people to believe because I can easily have a gathering with over 50 people at our house and I do fairly regularly but once everyone has gone home, I need my space and need to decompress. If I have a week where every day I am seeing people and talking, I hit a wall at some point and just have to have a “me” night sitting in front of the TV or reading a book in the tub.
5. When I was young, I wanted to have 9 kids and I was going to name them Nicollette, Collette, Lizette, Niquole, Quolin, Quody, Chevonne, Chevette, Annette. Thank goodness I outgrew the strange naming tendencies. Those who only know me on my blog don’t know the names of my kids, but I can reassure you that none are named Chevette! Now, 3 of my boys have Biblical names and my girls have names that are a bit unusual but they don’t rhyme with each other!
6. I have only started wearing short sleeved shirts in the past two years. I have a rash on my arms and in elementary school, the boy I had a crush on teased me about it and told everyone in my class how ugly it was and so I wore long sleeves only for the next 20 years.
7. I used to speak French fluently but now can really only speak fluent English and Pig Latin.
8. I can be reading 5 or 6 (or 10) books at a time and keep straight what is happening in each of the books. I actually prefer to have many books on the go because then I can pick up whatever I am feeling like reading at any given moment. I usually have a few fiction, a biography or two and some how-to or research types on the go.
9. If I hadn’t been a mom and writer, I would have been a forensic psychiatrist. I even considered continuing my schooling in it after I had had two kids. For those not familiar, a forensic psychiatrist is basically a criminal profiler or someone who works with criminals. I am fascinated (still) with the why of it and the potential for prevention if the whys are better understood. I am terrified of scary movies but do watch shows like Criminal Minds and the like because of the part of my brain that is still interested in the career that wasn’t.
10. I have a superpower. I can hold a pepper and tell how spicy it is. There is this patch on the top of my head that heats up and actually sweats depending on the heat of the pepper. Inside myself, without even touching that patch on my head, I can just feel how spicy something is by holding it in my hand even before I cut into it. It’s weird but it’s true. (and it comes in handy when making Nachos because I can decide how thick I want to slice the jalapeños depending on how spicy they are)
Now you know!