Easter is another one of those times when as the parent of a child on a gluten free diet, I have to watch him miss out on many of the treats that others get to enjoy. I try to think of ways that he can enjoy fun food for holiday celebrations. These gluten free Easter Eggs are really simple to make, but are major kid pleasers!
To make these, you need:
- plastic eggs
- gluten free Rice Krispies
- mini marshmallows
- butter or margarine (if you use margarine and dark chocolate, then these will also be dairy free)
- chocolate (I used milk and white chocolate chips)*
- sprinkles or decorating sugar
*Note: Most chocolate chips are gluten free, but you should still double check the label.
- Wash the plastic eggs really well and dry them.
- Add 1/2 cup of margarine or butter and 5 1/2 cups of mini marshmallows to a large bowl.
- Melt in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring after.
- When the marshmallows have melted (this will take between 2 and 4 sessions of being in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time depending on your microwave), stir in 6 1/2 cups of gluten free Rice Krispies. You can also make the Rice Krispie mixture on the stovetop if you prefer not to use the microwave.
- Using the plastic eggs, scoop the mixture into the plastic eggs and close them.
- Allow them to harden somewhat and then remove from the plastic eggs and place in an empty egg carton.
- Dip the tops of the eggs in the melted chocolate and then dust them with sprinkles, placing them carefully back into the empty egg carton.
- Put the egg carton in the fridge or freezer to allow the chocolate to harden.
I used different sizes of plastic eggs to make mine which of course led to a bit of bickering over which of the kids would get the largest egg but we settled it by giving it to our friends!
Now of course if you want to simplify things even more, you can simply make the same Rice Krispie mixture, press it into a greased pan and while it is still not set, add sprinkles to the top. This still gives a bit of a festive flair to your squares but takes much less time!