Here are step by step instructions and pictures detailing how I made frog cupcakes for Dancing Girl’s Princess and the Frog birthday party. The cupcakes were adorable and a big hit!
Materials needed for decorating the frog cupcakes:
- green sour apple rings
- green icing (green food paste to create green icing)
- white icing
- black food paste
- brown M+Ms
- red shoestring licorice
- strawberry Fruit by the Foot
1. Start by baking white or vanilla cupcakes using a mix or your favourite recipe. Add green food colouring or green food paste into the batter and mix in. If you can find green cupcake liners, use those. I was not able to find any, so I used white cupcake liners. Bake as directed in the recipe.
2. Allow the cupcakes to cool. Add green food paste into icing to create green icing. Decorate the cupcakes one at a time so that the candy sticks into the icing. Top a cupcake with the green icing.
3. Slice green sour apple ring candy in half. You will only be using the green halves.
4. Place two apple ring candy halves on top of the cupcake.
5. Add two brown M+Ms, leaning them up against the candy slices and put a dab of white icing in the centre of each M+M to create the frog’s eyes.
6. Make a smile using a small piece of red shoestring licorice.
7. Create a nose by painting two lines using black food paste on a toothpick. Cut a tongue for the frog out of strawberry Fruit by the Foot and slide it under the mouth.
Voila! A Frog cupcake!
Here is a list of ideas for planning a fun Princess and the Frog themed birthday party.