Birthday cake sensory bin:
- 1/2 cup of shampoo
- 2 Tablespoons of water
- 1 cup of flour
- silicone cupcake molds, small cake pans, muffin tins, and small dishes for forming “cakes”
- washi tape
- small craft sticks (popsicle sticks)
- battery operated votive candle
- tissue paper in orange, yellow or red
- baking dish or a plastic bin with a lid
- optional: birthday cake scented candle or wax melt
- Add one cup of flour, 2 Tbsp. of water and 1/2 cup of shampoo to a medium bowl.
- Stir. As the ingredients start to bind together, finishing mixing with your hands.
- If the dough feels sticky, you will add a little more flour, no more than 1/4 cup.
- Test the dough for stickiness. If it is still sticky, add a little more flour and continue to mix until it doesn’t stick to your hands.
- You will need a length of washi tape that can cover a craft stick on both sides.
- Allow the tape to slightly overlap the craft stick and place small squares of tissue paper on the top of the stick. You can layer orange and yellow tissue paper to resemble a flame.
- Fold the tape up to cover the other side of the craft stick and secure the tissue paper.
- Trim the edges of the tape on the sides of the craft stick using scissors.
- Cut the tissue paper to resemble a flame.
- You can use the play candles for other activities as well.
- Pour a bottle of sprinkles in the bottom of the dish or storage container you plan to use.
- Add the birthday cake dough.
- Place small dishes like play food dishes, silicone cupcake molds, and small baking dishes in the bin.
- Add the fake candles and a battery operated votive candle.
Sensory play benefits of this bin:
Join me for a free 5 part email series Sensory Solutions and Activities (just pop your email into the box below) and get a printable list of 175 Great Sensory Ideas.