Sensory play is any activity that engages a person’s senses. There are 8 sensory systems: tactile (touch), auditory (sound), visual (sight), olfactory (smell), gustatory (taste), vestibular (balance and movement), proprioception (sense of body position), and interoception (sense of internal state of the body).
What are the benefits of sensory play?
- moving through developmental stages
- exploring the world
- problem solving
- brain development
- providing sensory input/sensory diet
- better retention in learning
- promoting language development
- helping regulate mood, emotions and behaviour
- improving gross motor and fine motor skills
- social skills
- enhances learning
Read more information on the Importance of Sensory Play for Children. You may also be interested in what is behind sensory bottles, sensory bags, and sensory bins.
Awesome Sensory Play Ideas for Kids:
Here you’ll find sensory play ideas for infants, toddlers, preschoolers, older kids, and even teens. These can be used at home or in the classroom.