Awww, this activity is so fun and so cute! Kids can explore their interest in outer space with this Astronaut Sensory Bottle. It engages the senses and the mind.
Astronaut Sensory Bottle:
- empty water bottle (I prefer the look of Voss bottles or craft store sensory bottles)
- clear dish soap (Dawn or LemiShine are a good thickness for this)
- astronaut and rocket erasers
- glow in the dark mini ceiling stars
- small teal and green rubber bands (like the Rainbow Loom ones)
- silver glitter
- optional: Superglue or hot glue to seal the top of the bottle
- Pour clear dish soap into the bottle to 2/3 of the way full.
- Add the glitter, mini rubber bands, space erasers, and ceiling stars.
- Fill up to the top with water.
- Put the lid back on. If you’re going to use with younger kids, then it’s best to superglue the lid in place or secure with hot glue. Be sure to allow the glue time to dry before giving it to a child to play with.
As with all of our sensory activities, adult supervision should be used. Even if you have glued the lid in place, it can still come off. The bottle contains small parts which are choking hazards so always use caution.
This activity has an added bonus. Because of the ceiling stars, it is glow-in-the-dark. Just be sure to leave it in the light long enough to charge and then the sensory bottle will glow. Some kids may be comforted by bringing their glowing bottle into their room with them at night.
Sensory and Learning Opportunities:
This Astronaut Sensory Bottle engages the visual, tactile, and the proprioceptive sensory systems.
If you’re doing a unit study on the Solar System, you can set out this Astronaut Sensory Bottle as a hands-on addition to your studies. When kids incorporate their senses into their learning, they show better retention. You can set up an entire Space Sensory Station at home or in your classroom to encourage learning.
Here are some other activities that would work well at your Space Sensory Station:
Glow in the Dark Solar System Sensory Bin
Are you looking for more simple sensory play recipes? Join us for a five day email series on Sensory Activities and Solutions and get yourself a free sample of our Sensory Play Recipes eBook.