Playdough Made with Hair Gel:
- 1/2 cup of clear hair gel*
- 1/4 cup of water
- neon food colouring
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups of flour
- Place 1/4 cup of water and 1/2 cup of the clear hair gel in a medium sized bowl.
- Add 5 drops of neon food colouring to the liquid mixture.
- Stir until this is well combined.
- Add 1 cup of flour to the liquid.
- Begin stirring until the contents begin to clump.
- At this point, you can decide if you need to add additional flour. If the mixture feels sticky, add an additional 1/4 cup of flour, and continue to stir.
- When the flour has been incorporated, test it for stickiness.
- Add additional flour if needed.
- When the playdough is no longer sticky, it is ready to play with!
- Store in an airtight container when not in use.
Sensory play ideas with playdough:
- Shape it onto a playdough mat.
- Play Stuck in the Mud with toy cars.
- Roll it, squish it, press it, shape it.
- Use stamps or cookie cutters with the playdough.
- Put out a variety of small objects like beads, sequins, and buttons for kids to press into the play dough. This is a great way to work on fine motor skills.
- Another good fine motor activity is to cut rolls of playdough with scissors.
- Make pretend food.
Some of our other homemade playdough recipes: