The holidays can be a challenging time for kids. They are off schedule and the excitement can be too much for some kids. Enter the simple calm down bottle. This easy Christmas tree sensory bottle can be an effective calm down tool for kids.
You can include this sensory bottle in your child’s Christmas Calm Down Kit. As the glitter and confetti fall slowly through the bottle, watching it creates a calming effect. Adding more glue slows the rate at which it falls.
Christmas Tree Sensory Bottle:
- plastic sensory bottle or empty water bottle
- 5 oz. bottle clear Elmer’s school glue (or more if you want the glitter and confetti to fall more slowly)
- warm water
- 1 Tbsp. glitter and Christmas tree confetti
- optional: hot glue and/or holiday duct tape
- Empty the bottle of glue into the plastic bottle.
- Fill the empty glue bottle about half full with warm water and place the lid back on. Shake well to combine the remaining glue with the water.
- Pour into the sensory bottle, place the lid on that and shake to combine.
- Add the glitter in the colour of your choice and holiday confetti into the glue mixture.
- Reseal the jar and shake well. If the glitter or confetti does not move easily, add more warm water. If the glitter or confetti moves through the liquid too quickly, add additional glue. To create a calm down effect, you’ll want it to move slowly through the bottle.
- If younger kids will be playing with it, secure the lid with hot glue.
- If desired, cover the lid with seasonal duct tape.
Adult supervision should be used with this or any other sensory play activity.
You will also be interested in checking these out: