These pirate themed emotions playdough mats are a great way to get kids to learn about feelings. Most kids like pirates. These use pirate situations and list the corresponding emotion.
You can expand on the activity by having your child discuss what they would do in those situations if they were a pirate.
How to use the printable emotions playdough mats:
- Print out the playdough mats on paper or thick card stock.
- Laminate the pages or place each of them in a plastic sleeve.
- Set out the playdough mats with playdough. You can use homemade playdough or purchased.
- Have your child shape the playdough to fill in things on the playdough mats and to fill in the faces to show the emotion each one needs.
- Use this as a jumping off point to talk to your child about emotions such as asking when they have experienced those emotions or what they would feel if they were a pirate in a similar situation.
One important thing to note: Having your child wear an eyepatch while doing this activity makes it a heck of a lot more fun!
This activity also provides good sensory input. As your child squeezes and shapes the playdough, they are using their proprioceptive and tactile sensory systems. Reading the words and looking at the pictures uses their visual sensory system. If you use scented playdough, their olfactory sensory system will also be engaged.
When children use their senses while they learn, they are better able to retain the information. It also helps them to get enough sensory input into their day which can help regulate their behaviour. And of course, playing with playdough is just plain fun!
You can download these printable playdough mats (free) and join our Sensory Solutions and Activities email series by entering your email below.
Check out some of our other printable playdough mats: