With the new Peter Rabbit movie coming out soon, we thought it would be cute to set out a Peter Rabbit Playdough invitation to play for the kids. This playdough tray evokes imagination. Your child can explore and create scenes and stories.
This sensory play activity is engaging and a wonderful learning opportunity. If your child has seen the movies or read the books, they can recreate scenes or they can just use their imaginations to build their own Peter Rabbit world. They can then act out scenarios with the characters.
Using the playdough, they can create a garden or a field and have the characters interact with each other. This activity is cute for any time, but it would be especially appropriate for Spring or Easter time.
Peter Rabbit Playdough Recipe:
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup salt
- 2 Tbsp. cream of tartar
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- green food gel
- 1 cup water (boiling if making with KitchenAid)
- optional: a few drops of peppermint essential oil*
*a note about choosing a playdough scent: Some scents are calming while others are alerting. Peppermint is an alerting scent. This is great if you are wanting kids to stay focused. If you want this activity to be a calming one, be sure to choose a more calming scent.
- Put the dry ingredients into your KitchenAid mixer.
- Add the oil and colour and begin mixing on low with the flat beater.
- As it is mixing on the lowest setting, pour in the boiling water.
- If you want to scent the playdough, add a few drops of essential oil in peppermint or the scent of your choice. Mix until it is the texture you want.
- Store in an airtight container or resealable bag when not being played with.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a pot and stir in the oil, water and the food colouring.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring, being sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the pot.
- Cook until the dough forms a ball. Remove from heat.
- Place dough on a piece of wax paper. Knead. If you want, add a few drops of essential oils for scent.
- Allow to cool. Store the playdough in an airtight container or resealable bag.
Peter Rabbit Playdough Sensory Station:
- plastic tray with separated compartments
- playdough (make the recipe above or you can purchase it)
- wood slices
- plastic trees
- small Peter Rabbit figurines
- fruits and vegetables Toob
Peter Rabbit Poseable FiguresFruits & Vegetables ToobPlay-doh-resealable Green
- Set the green playdough in the middle compartment in the tray.
- Place all the other items in the compartments around it.
- Invite your child to explore, play, and create.
This activity is so sensory rich. Kids engage their visual, tactile, and proprioceptive sensory systems when they are squishing, moulding, sculpting, shaping, rolling, and pressing the dough and the other items in the invitation to play. If scented playdough is used, then they are also engaging their olfactory sensory system.
Are you looking for other easy sensory play recipes? Join us for a free five day email series on Sensory Activities and Solutions and get a sample of our Sensory Play Recipes eBook.
Check out some of our other playdough invitation to play activities:
Nativity Playdough Invitation to Play