So often, the holiday season can become centered around material things like the gifts we’re purchasing or receiving for Christmas. Instead of focusing on presents this year, why not put your effort into making memories with your family? With the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, sometimes that’s easier said than done. What if I could make it super simple for your family to enjoy the holiday season together with the help of a variety of fun activities? This adorable Christmas fun jar is a great way to come up with activities your family can enjoy during the holiday season with very little effort on your part.
Christmas Activity Ideas
One of the hardest parts about creating holiday traditions with your family is coming up with Christmas activity ideas everyone in the family will enjoy. But with this easy holiday craft, the hard work is already done for you!
The printable PDF included with this fun craft comes with 30 different easy holiday activities. In addition to being simple to do, most of the activities on this list can be done right at home. That makes them perfect for enjoying time together while you’re stuck inside!
This big list of Christmas activities includes traditional holiday ideas, like baking cookies and wrapping Christmas presents, as well as some unique activities to enjoy together as a family. But the best part about pulling an activity out of this cute jar is that you never know what you’re going to get!
How to Make a Christmas Fun Jar
Making this Christmas activity jar couldn’t be easier. Start by downloading the printable list of activities and the jar label. Cut out each activity on a single strip of paper. Use the helpful guide lines to cut the activities so that each activity fits perfectly on a popsicle stick.
After you have all the activities cut out, just glue one strip to the top of a popsicle stick. You can give your jar a festive holiday look by using red and green popsicle sticks. I got mine at the dollar store or you can use plain popsicle sticks to hold your Christmas activity ideas.
When all the activities have been added to popsicle sticks, place them inside a mason jar. Decorate the front of the jar with the Christmas Activity Jar label, then add a holiday bow on top to make it look extra special. After that, all you have to do is set the jar out for your family to enjoy!
How to Use the Christmas Activity Jar
There are a few different ways you can use this Christmas activity jar to enjoy time with your family during the holiday season. Each of these methods are a great way to put a focus on making memories instead of purchasing gifts, ensuring your family has an amazing holiday season without the need for material things.
- Activity advent calendar. Advent calendars are a popular way to count down the days until Christmas. But there’s no reason you have to use a traditional calendar to incorporate this fun activity into your holiday celebration. Use your activity jar as an advent calendar by picking a different popsicle stick activity each day leading up to Christmas. Your family will have tons of holiday fun every day until the big day, helping you build up the excitement for Christmas day in the process.
- Memory makers. Make the most of the activities in your Christmas jar by using them to create lasting memories with your kids. Since most of the activities on the list are easy to do, there’s not much work involved in creating a fun time for your kids any day of the week. And allowing each kid to pick an activity for the day will ensure everyone in your family feels special throughout the holiday season.
- Adding new traditions. Finding good holiday traditions that everyone in your family enjoys can sometimes be a game of trial and error. This year, work your way through a variety of holiday traditions by drawing a new activity from the jar each day. This method will help you figure out which traditional holiday activities your family likes to do together and which ones aren’t very popular. Make a note of the activities your family enjoyed and start to incorporate them into your holiday celebration from year to year.
- I’m bored jar. Another fun way to use the jar is to help pass the time during the holiday season. If your kids are stuck at home this winter, you’re likely to hear the words “I’m bored” more than once. Every time one of your kids says those two words, let them pick a stick from the jar to help them find a fun way to pass the time.
Christmas Activity Jar
- popsicle sticks (you can use regular or coloured popsicle sticks)
- mason jar or other glass jar
- printable activities
- printable label
- holiday ribbon
- Print out the activity sheet and label.
- Cut out the activity strips along the outer borders. (find the download for the label and activities here)
- Cut out the printable label around the outer edge.
- Glue the activity strips to the popsicle sticks and place the sticks in the jar.
- Glue the label to the front of the jar and decorate the top with ribbon.
Sign up with your email to receive your free printable jar label and activity idea strips.
Check out these holiday family activities: