This is such a fun party game! The Saran Wrap game is great for all ages. It can be played at holiday gatherings, office parties, birthday parties, or even in the classroom.The great thing about this game is that everyone is a winner as each person is able to keep the prizes that they unwrap. There will of course be some people that end up with more treats that others, but that’s all part of the fun!
In case the ball doesn’t make it all the way around the circle, you can keep a few prizes to the side to give to anyone who doesn’t end up with a treat.
Saran Wrap Ball Game:
- 1-5 packages of Saran Wrap or Glad Cling Wrap (you want to use brand name plastic wrap for this to ensure that it sticks to itself)
- candies and small treats (there’s a list of prize ideas below)
- optional: a large prize such as cash for the center
How to make the Saran Wrap ball:
- Begin by placing the best prize on some of the plastic wrap. Wrap it around the prize and continue to wrap around.
- Continue wrapping the plastic wrap around to create a ball and every few layers, add a candy or treat and continue wrapping.
- Continue wrapping until the ball reaches the desired size. You can make a smaller ball for smaller groups using just one roll of Saran Wrap or make a larger ball for a big group or to make the game last longer using two or three rolls. You want to ensure you make the ball large enough that each person will get at least one turn to play.
Hint: If you want to make it more difficult to unwrap, you can periodically cut the plastic wrap and then start wrapping the other way with the next piece.
How to play the game:
- Have all the players sit in a circle.
- Give the ball to the first person. In our house, the house rule is that the youngest player goes first always.
- That person can begin to unwrap the ball, keeping every treat they unwrap as they go.
- In the meantime, the person to their left rolls the dice and continues to roll until they roll doubles.
- Once they roll doubles, the ball passes to them and the dice passes to the person on their left.
- The game continues until the entire ball in unwrapped with the last person being able to keep the prize at the center of the ball.
Saran Wrap Ball Game Variations:
- For Christmas, you can use red and green cling wrap to add more of a holiday feel. Choose holiday treats such as Christmas mini erasers, small candy canes, and stickers.
- Choose prizes according to the theme of your party.
- Use this game as a way for party goers to fill up their treat bag at a birthday party.
- Instead of having the person to the left roll repeatedly until they get doubles, you can have them roll only once and then pass the dice if they don’t get doubles and have everyone roll one time each turn. The person who rolls the doubles gets to “steal” the ball and so on.
- In this variation, if a 7 is rolled, the direction the ball passes in is reversed.
- Add some gag gifts to the ball. This adds a funny twist.
What prizes can I put in the Saran Wrap ball?
Here are some ideas of what you can include in your Saran Wrap ball:
- candy (mini sizes as well as full size)
- small toys such as those you would put in a treat bag
- cash (bills and/or coins)
- gift cards or gift certificates
- makeup or lotion samples
- costume jewelry
- movie tickets
- bouncy balls
- small fidgets
- face mask packets
- mini Kleenex packs
- scrunchies or hair ties
- craft supplies
- action figures
- toy cars
- items from Toobs like plastic animals
This activity doesn’t have to cost much to put together. You can look for sales on small candies the day after Valentine’s Day or Hallowe’en or right after Christmas or you can purchase things at the dollar store.
Sign up for our email series 5 Secrets to Powerful Family Connection for other great ideas.
You may also be interested in these party game ideas: