Lego offers so many learning opportunities. Playing with building blocks helps kids with math concepts, engineering, communication, as well as simpler things such as colours and shapes. Using Lego Challenge Cards is a great way to encourage this learning.Lego is something that I often incorporated in our homeschooling. Whether is was a tool for teaching how earthquakes work, practising letter recognition, including it in a sensory bottle, or just having the kids build and create with it while I read them their history lessons, it was a regular learning tool. We even occasionally had Lego shaped snacks!
My own kids’ enjoyment and learning thanks to creating with blocks is what led me to want to create this activity for other families to enjoy. These can be used as a boredom buster at home or to enhance skills in the classroom.
Lego Challenge Cards:
- LEGO Challenge Cards (download here)
- building blocks
- Download and print off the Lego Challenge Cards.
- Cut them out.
- Kids can then follow the prompts on the cards to create things using the building blocks.
I kept some of the cards open ended in order to inspire creativity. There are also ideas included to foster team work and communication and to encourage thinking outside the box.
Examples of some of the challenges:
- Build a boat that floats.
- Build your name in LEGO.
- Build something blindfolded.
- Build something in one minute.
- Build something using 5 different sized LEGO.
- Build a LEGO pizza.
- Build a small tower and balance it on your head.
- Build something by following the instructions of a partner.
- Build something with just one hand.
There are a total of 24 challenge cards in this printable set. Each one is designed to keep kids engaged and thinking.
Learning Opportunities from using Lego Challenge Cards:
- following instructions
- reading comprehension
- engineering concepts (balance, gravity, weight distribution)
- fine motor
- hand eye coordination
- cooperation and communication (if playing with others)
Sign up to receive the complete set of LEGO Challenge Cards free and be entered in our 5 Secrets to Powerful Connection email series.
Check out some of our other LEGO themed activities: