When you can’t go to the ocean, bring it to you! That’s the sentiment behind this ocean sensory bag. It brings the feeling of the sea right into your home.
Ocean Sensory Bag:
- small or medium resealable plastic bag
- hand sanitizer or hair gel
- blue food gel
- glue glitter (optional)
- Good Luck minis ocean pack
- optional: duct tape (blue or mermaid duct tape look nice)
- Fill a small or medium sized resealable plastic bag less than halfway with hand sanitizer or hair gel.
- Add some blue food gel. If you don’t have any, you can substitute drops of food colouring.
- Sprinkle in some blue glitter.
- Add the mini figures from the ocean pack.
- Squish to combine and especially to mix the colour in.
- Open the bag again to remove any excess air and seal again.
- If you want, you can fold duct tape over all four edges of the bag to secure.
- Hand the bag to your child to play with.
Whether or not you secure the bag with duct tape, adult supervision should be used as this contains small parts that could present a choking hazard.
This ocean sensory bag pairs well with an ocean unit study. It’s a nice hands-on activity for kids who are interested in learning about sea life creatures. They can explore and discover through finding each of the aquatic animals.
If you want to expand this activity, you can write down the names of each of the items in the bag and have your child find each one and call out its name. They will delight in discovering the sea turtle, starfish, stingray, dolphin, shark, and fish.
Children get tactile, visual, and proprioceptive sensory input while playing with their sensory bag.
Looking for more easy sensory play recipes to cultivate fun? Join us for a free five day email series on Sensory Activities and Solutions and get a free of our Sensory Play Recipes eBook.
Try out some of these other ocean themed sensory activities: